It is anticipated that the LAWASIA Human Rights Committee will focus activity on the following:
- 1.1 Research into human rights in particular in the Asian Pacific region.
- 1.2 Providing LAWASIA members with information on human rights.
- 1.3 Organising or assisting meetings, sessions and conferences of LAWASIA on human rights issues.
- 1.4 Proposing and/or implementing human rights intervention activities including intervention letters, organizing and researching trial and other observation missions.
- 1.5 Participation in meetings, among others, of bar associations/ law societies, international lawyers’ organizations and international organisations.
- 1.6 Establishing and administrating a LAWASIA Human Rights Award, awarded to lawyers or advocates who have made prominent achievements in human rights in the Asian Pacific region.
- 1.7 Drafting principles for consideration by Council (e.g. principles on separation of command between civil police force and military).
- 1.8 Giving consideration to further development of the draft LAWASIA Pacific Human Rights Charter.
Chair, Human Rights Committee | LAWASIA
Professor Yasushi Higashizawa
3-1-5 Takanawa, Minato
T: +81 3 5421 5501
F: +81 3 5421 5256
Professor of the Meiji Gakuin University, Faculty of Law and a Special Counsel of , the Nishi Tokyo Kyodo Law Offices (Tokyo). Attorney at law admitted in Japan, States of New York and California, USA, as well as Listed Counsel of the International Criminal Court (ICC).
He serves as a Co-Chair of the Human Rights Committee of the LAWASIA as well as a Counselor to the President of the Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA). He also served, among others, as a chair of the International Human Rights Committee (IHRC) of the JFBA, a Council Member of the International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute (IBA-HRI) and a ExCo. Member of the International Criminal Bar (ICB).
Expert Counsellor (HR & Environment) Human Rights Committee | LAWASIA
Expert Counsellor HR Advocacy & Training, Human Rights Committee | LAWASIA
Malaysian Centre for Constitutionalism and Human Rights
Human Rights Publications